It all started with Karaoke

As Karl Lagerfeld has said, “Some things never go out of fashion in the world of fashion: jeans, the white shirt, and the Chanel jacket.”

Ahh, the Chanel Jacket.  It’s classic, reported to be comfortable and easy to wear, and I have been dreaming of owning one for years.  This is the year I am going to make it a reality, and sew a Chanel-style jacket out of my own handwoven fabric.

This is really going to be a long-term project that I started over a year ago.  I examined the tweed fabrics in the Linton Tweeds catalogue.  I searched the internet and looked at examples of Chanel jackets.  I knew I wanted to create a unique tweed fabric.

This is where it all began.  My fabric started with a ½ pound of fibre from Louet, called Karaoke in the Parrotfish colourway, in mainly greens and pinks,  50% Soysilk / 50% wool.

Karaoke Parrotfish

 

I spun it into a beautiful silky 2 ply yarn.  I carried a sample of the yarn around with me to conferences, spin-ins and events.  I added and spun 100 grams of pink Corridale.  I unravelled, unplyed and re-plyed the yarn from a fine cashmere sweater I found at a thrift store.  I found some green silk, and some lighter green bamboo, some fine white and pink wool, and dark green wool, a natural silk yarn, a tiny bit of silver sparkle.  I added in some Zephr wool/silk in a colour called Chanel, a beautiful dark purple-pink.  Of course, I had to include this, how could I not?.    I bought the pattern – Vogue 8804, and measured out the pattern pieces in my size to determine the yardage requirements.  My fabric would need to finish to 9 yards long, 22 inches wide.

I had about 50-100 grams each of about 10 yarns, including the handspun yarns to use in the fabric.  In order to maximize my yarns, I made separate warp chains, 10 yards long, from each yarn to determine how many ends I had of each one.  I then took each warp chain to the loom, and randomly sleyed them through the reed to 20 ends per inch.  From the reed I threaded in a broken twill pattern, tied on to the back beam and wound on.  So, yes, this was threaded front to back.  Because of the warp chains layered on top of each other, it did take longer to wind on, but I had very little breakage, thank goodness, because I had very little extra yarn.

I wove the yardage with a regular repeat of six threads: white wool, white silk, pink wool, pink handspun wool, green bamboo, interrupted by the Zephr wool/silk every tenth shot.  It was very slow weaving, with so many weft threads going – It seemed to take forever!  I started weaving January 2013, just before I left for Australia, and finally finished this January, 2014.

Here, then, is the finished fabric.

IMG_1653  IMG_1656 IMG_1657

Next steps:  Learn couture sewing methods, create a coordinating braid, sew and fit a toile, hope it all works out.  Like I said, this is going to be a long-term project.

This entry was posted in Spinning, Weaving and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to It all started with Karaoke

  1. vicki collins says:

    wow barb, that is gorgeous, can’t wait to see the finished product.

  2. Lovely fabric. You’ll have to line it in silk, surely. I’ve been looking into couture sewing myself lately and have borrowed a few books on that topic from the library. So far the one I have found the most useful is Couture The Art of Fine Sewing by Roberta C. Carr. It looks a bit dated but the techniques and sketches are helpful.

  3. Alice says:

    This is going to be a great jacket. The fabric looks good up close and from a distance.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s